Wednesday, October 29, 2008

yeah so anyway

Ok, good news.. Today is NOT a bitchfest!! No seriously, I swear to god, were he/she/it to exist... So, I'll swear on a stack of Girl Scout Cookies.. yum..

I was able to witness a traditional Indian (Hindu, not the ones that live in teepees) celebration today. Apparently, it's their New Year (on a side note, when are the Chinese and Indians gonna get on the same page as the rest of us with this new year thing? i mean come on!), a celebration known as Diwali. It is essentially a celebration of the return of an ancient exiled king in Hindu culture that took out some bad ass Hindu demon way back in the day.. The celebration itself is characterized with lots of food (but absolutely no meat for like a week), a traditional dance and music.

Now, many of you may be asking youself, "what??"... Believe me, I understand. I'm fortunate enough (is fortunate the right word?) to work in a company that is predominately Hindu. What's cool about it is that I've always been into learning about other cultures, especially religions. As many of you know, I'm not a religious person, but I think those other cultures and celebrations are fascinating. Which brings me to the meat of this blog...

Why is it that most people can't see beyond their own two feet and recognize other cultures validity? People in this world are so fucking ignorant when it comes to anything outside of their sphere of influence (thank you Sociology 101!!)... It just boggles my mind.. If you're not into religion or culture, fine! I won't judge you. But at least pick up a fucking book occasionally, or learn an instrument, or watch a foreign movie, or SOMETHING! A steady diet of Will Ferell movies and trashy shows that do nothing but depict a fake "life" that in no way corresponds to reality (I'm thinking of the show "Greek" that Kate put on the other day hahaha) just perpetuates the ever-declining level of intelligence, understanding and empathy that is running rampant in today's society. I recommend doing something you wouldn't normally do... For instance, I'm apparently going to a drag queen parade on Friday... How or why I got roped into this I may never know (it's totally for a chick, but don't tell her that hahaha), but god damn it, I've never been to one, so what possible harm could it do? Perhaps I'll have a whole new outlook on the gay community. Or maybe I'll get goosed by a guy in assless leather chaps.. Either way, I think I'll have a story for you all on Monday.

Kudos to all of you that continue to make yourselves better people, that feel the need to keep improving yourselves. Keep on truckin'...

wow, keep on truckin'... really? that's the best closing line I could come up with? fuck

No comments: